The Ed Archuleta Desalter Scholarship Fund
About the Scholarship
In 2016, the Board of Directors of the Texas Desalination Association initiated a scholarship fund for higher education students who are engaged in water resource planning and/or research involving one of the various aspects of brackish groundwater or seawater desalination. The scholarship fund is named for Ed Archuleta, who was also honored in 2016 by the Association as its Texas Desalination Pioneer.
Previous Scholarship Recipients
- 2016 – Malynda Cappelle, PhD, University of Texas at El Paso
- 2017 – Savanna Smith, Undergraduate, University of Texas at Austin
Call for 2018 Scholarship Applicants
$1,500 Scholarship Award
Coordinated by the Texas Desalination Association
Application deadline: Friday, June 29, 2018
Students must submit all requested materials listed below and meet the following criteria:
- Must be full-time students enrolled in a four-year, accredited, degree-granting college or university
- Must be attending a university in Texas, OR must be a Texas resident if attending an out-of-state university
- Must have completed 60 credit hours or working on advanced degrees at the time of application
- Must have attained an overall grade point average of 3.0 or better (on a 4.0 point scale)
- No eligible student may receive this award more than once
- Must submit an essay from one of the four essay prompts below. (2-page minimum, 5-page maximum; 12-point type in Calibri, Cambria or Times Roman; 1.5 line spacing)
- What are the top 2 or 3 barriers to development of brackish groundwater for desalination in Texas, and please suggest some potential solutions.
- What is the potential in Texas for a seawater desalination facility?
- Tell us about a technology breakthrough, recent or on the near horizon, for making desalination of brackish groundwater and/or seawater more energy efficient, environmentally friendly, or cost effective.
- Look 20-30 years in to the future and tell us what you see for desalination in Texas.
- Must submit an unofficial transcript that reflects GPA and credit hour requirements
Submit all materials or any questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Applications are due by Friday, June 29, 2018 at 5:00pm CST.
- Recipient(s) will be notified by Monday, August 6, 2018.
- Recipient(s) will be guests at Texas Desal 2018 to be held on September 13-14, 2018, in Austin, Texas.
Support students who are the rising stars of water resource planning and research for the future of Texas. To donate to the Fund, please make checks payable to: Ed Archuleta Scholarship Fund.
Texas Desalination Association
807 Brazos Street, Suite 802
Austin, TX 79701
About Ed Archuleta
Edmund G. “Ed” Archuleta was manager of the El Paso Water Utilities Public Service Board from January 1989 until his retirement in January 2013. He was responsible for all aspects of water, wastewater, reclaimed water service, and storm water to the greater El Paso metropolitan area. He reported to and implemented strategic policies set by the seven-member Public Service Board. Ed was then named the Transition and Special Projects Manager for the El Paso Water Utilities Public Service Board from January through July 2013. Ed joined UTEP as Director of Water Initiatives on September 1, 2013. Read more.