The Ed Archuleta Desalter Scholarship Fund
About the Scholarship
In 2016, the Board of Directors of the Texas Desalination Association initiated a scholarship fund for higher education students who are engaged in water resource planning and/or research involving one of the various aspects of brackish groundwater or seawater desalination. The scholarship fund is named for Ed Archuleta, who was also honored in 2016 by the Association as its Texas Desalination Pioneer.
Malynda Cappelle, PhD, University of Texas at El Paso, was the scholarship fund’s first recipient in 2016.
Call for 2017 Scholarship Applicants
$1,500 Scholarship Award
Coordinated by the Texas Desalination Association
Application deadline: August 18, 2017
Students must submit all requested materials listed below and meet the following criteria:
- Must be full-time students enrolled in a four-year, accredited, degree-granting college or university
- Must be attending a university in Texas, OR must be a Texas resident if attending an out-of-state university
- Must have completed 60 credit hours or working on advanced degrees at the time of application
- Must have attained an overall grade point average of 3.0 or better (on a 4.0 point scale)
- No eligible student may receive this award more than once
- Must submit an essay focused on water needs of the future in Texas and the benefits and/or opportunities for desalination in the State of Texas (2-page minimum, 5-page maximum; 12-point type in Calibri, Cambria or Times Roman; 1.5 line spacing)
- Must submit an unofficial transcript that reflects GPA and credit hour requirements
Submit all materials or any questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Applications are due by Friday, August 18, 2017 at 5:00pm CST.
- Recipient(s) will be notified by Friday, September 1, 2017.
- Recipient(s) will be guests at Texas Desal 2017 to be held on September 21-22, 2017, in Austin, TX.
Support students who are the rising stars of water resource planning and research for the future of Texas. To donate to the Fund, please make checks payable to: Ed Archuleta Scholarship Fund.
Texas Desalination Association
807 Brazos Street, Suite 802
Austin, TX 79701
About Ed Archuleta
Edmund G. “Ed” Archuleta was manager of the El Paso Water Utilities Public Service Board from January 1989 until his retirement in January 2013. He was responsible for all aspects of water, wastewater, reclaimed water service, and storm water to the greater El Paso metropolitan area. He reported to and implemented strategic policies set by the seven-member Public Service Board. Ed was then named the Transition and Special Projects Manager for the El Paso Water Utilities Public Service Board from January through July 2013. Ed joined UTEP as Director of Water Initiatives on September 1, 2013. Read more.